1 reply to this topic

#1 quickwalker

quickwalker

• Premium Member
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 09:06 AM

Hello Minoo,

I was wondering about how the passive voice can be applied to conditionals. Could you please explain me how the passive voice in conditionals works? It should also be nice if a passive voice topic would be added to the conditionals part of the exercises.

Thanks

#2 Minoo

Minoo

Advanced Member

• Head Tutor
  • PipPip
  • 338 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 05:02 PM

Hello Minoo,

I was wondering about how the passive voice can be applied to conditionals. Could you please explain me how the passive voice in conditionals works? It should also be nice if a passive voice topic would be added to the conditionals part of the exercises.

Thanks

There is nothing special about using the Passive Voice in a Conditional sentence.  Choose the correct tense according to the type of conditional you are using, and then change your active sentence to passive in the SAME tense. Examples:

If you ask me, I will do it.   >>> If I am asked, it will be done.

If you asked me, I would do it. >>> If I were asked, it would be done.  (Notice: 'If I WERE', not 'If I was', because it is the Second Conditional.)

If you had asked me, I would have done it.  >>> If I had been asked, it would have been done.

You can review the Passive Structures in Anglo-File 112.  I am planning to do a video lesson on Passives as well.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users